Functions and duties of Council – Property for rent Singapore
9.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the functions and duties of the Council shall be
(a) to administer the licensing and registration regimes under this Act;
(b) to regulate and control the practice of estate agents and salespersons;
(c) to promote integrity and competence amongst estate agents and salespersons and to maintain or enhance their status;
(d) to administer examinations and a professional development framework for the purposes of licensing and registration under this Act;
(e) to develop codes of practice, ethics and conduct for estate agents and salespersons;
(f) to conduct investigations and disciplinary proceedings in relation to offences and unsatisfactory conduct or misconduct in relation to estate agency work;
(g) to develop measures to equip consumers with the necessary knowledge to conduct their property transactions with prudence and diligence; and
(h) to perform such other functions and discharge such other duties as may be conferred on the Council by any written law. Property for rent Singapore.
(2) In addition to the functions and duties imposed under subsection (1), the Council may undertake such other functions and duties (not incompatible with those specified in that subsection) as the Minister may, by order published in the Gazette, assign to the Council
and in so doing —
(a) the Council shall be deemed to be fulfilling the purposes of this Act; and
(b) the provisions of this Act shall apply to the Council in respect of such functions and duties.
(3) Nothing in this section shall be construed as imposing on the Council, directly or indirectly, any form of duty or liability enforceable by proceedings before any court to which it would not otherwise be subject. Property for rent Singapore.
Powers of Council – property for rent Singapore
10.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Council shall have the power to do anything for the purpose of performing its functions and discharging its duties under this Act or any other written law, or which is incidental or conducive to the performance and discharge of those functions and duties. Property for rent Singapore.
(2) Without affecting the generality of subsection (1), the Council may —
(a) enter into such contracts as may be necessary or expedient for the purpose of discharging the functions and duties of the Council;
(b) acquire or dispose of, in accordance with the provisions of this Act, any property, whether movable or immovable, which the Council thinks necessary or expedient for the
purpose of carrying out its functions or duties;
(c) charge fees for licensing and registration and for any services rendered by the Council or for the use of any facilities of the Council;
(d) receive grants or contributions from any source, or raise funds by all lawful means and apply such funds for any of the functions and duties of the Council;
(e) provide recreational facilities and promote recreational activities for, and activities conducive to, the welfare of officers and employees of the Council and members of their
(f) lease, let or otherwise utilise any property, movable or immovable, vested in or acquired by the Council on such terms and conditions as the Council thinks fit; and
(g) do anything incidental to any of its functions, duties or powers.
(3) This section shall not be construed as limiting any power of the Council conferred by or under any other written law. Property for rent Singapore.
(4) The Council shall furnish the Minister information with respect to its property and activities in such manner and at such times as the Minister may require.
Source: Estate Agents Act (EAA)
Click here to search for property for rent Singapore.